Banyan School is pleased to announce that we are licensed by Wilson Language Training® (WLT) to deliver Wilson® professional learning for the following Wilson Reading System® (WRS) courses:
- WRS Introductory Course
- WRS Level I Certification
- WRS Advanced Strategies for MSL Group Instruction Course
Course registration is now available for:
WRS Introductory Course
Tuesday, May 7 – Thursday, May 9, 2019
The WRS Introductory Course (formerly Wilson Introductory Workshop) provides an overview of the WRS 4th Edition curriculum and serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification. This course presents teachers with the knowledge and skills necessary to address the five principles of literacy instruction that align with the Common Core Learning Standards (Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Vocabulary, Fluency, and Comprehension). While attending this course, you will learn WRS research-based, multisensory strategies to maximize the learning of students with reading difficulties.
- Reading research
- Principles of language structure
- How the WRS addresses the five areas of reading
- Definition of dyslexia and common characteristics
- WRS principles of instruction
- Program implementation
- Student placement, progress monitoring, and scheduling
- Creating a successful classroom environment
- Participants prepare a 10-part lesson plan and practice lesson procedures
This course serves as a prerequisite to participate in WRS Level I Certification. WRS Level I Certification course registration must take place within five years of completion of this course. Please contact Mrs. Jennifer Kempton Sansone to learn more about enrolling in WRS Level I Certification.
Wilson Reading System® (WRS) Advanced Strategies for Multisensory Structured Language Group Instruction Course
Tuesday, June 4 – Thursday, June 6, 2019
The WRS Advanced Strategies Workshop delves into essential techniques and strategies to improve all aspects of WRS small-group instruction through hands-on practice and discussion, and prepares participants for the WRS Group Mastery Practicum. The workshop examines the specifics of each WRS lesson plan block, with an increased focus on vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency instruction.
- Intensive Intervention
- Five Factors for Successful WRS Group Instruction
- Creating Word Consciousness
- WRS Lesson Blocks 1, 2, & 3
- The Role of Spelling in Writing Fluency
- Schwa Sound
- Text Complexity: Informative & Narrative Text Structures
- Wilson Fluency® Basic/Formalized Fluency Instruction
- WRS Group Mastery Practicum and Wilson Reading System® Level II Certification
- Wilson Academy®
This course serves as a prerequisite to participate in WRS Level II Certification.
Jennifer Kempton Sansone, M.Ed., W.C.T., W.D.T.
Wilson® Credentialed Trainer
Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist
(973) 439-1919 Ext. 209